Thursday 11 July 2013

Lentil As Anything, Melbourne


Lentil As Anything was very easily my favourite place to eat when I lived in Melbourne. It delivers delicious vegetarian and vegan meals 3 times a day; 7 days per week on a 'pay as you feel' basis.

The first time I visited this place I was overwhelmed. I had read briefly about it in my guide book but my friend insisted we must go when he found out I was vegetarian. We went for dinner on a balmy Saturday evening, which became my first of numerous visits. I was like a kid in a candy store- I could eat everything on the menu and help myself to as much as I wanted. The food was impeccable; so flavoursome; leading me to over indulge and go for seconds. It was also clearly labelled- great for one of our dining partners with food allergies. I left a big donation, feeling very satisfied.

Lentil As Anything would then go on to be my saviour when I hit hard time after deciding to stay in Melbourne. Struggling to find work, I was doing various casual jobs to cover my hostel rent and I was absolutely broke. They helped with low cost meals which sustained me until I eventually found a full-time job.


When I got my job and going to Lentil's at all times of the day became a thing of the past. It then became the favourite Sunday breakfast spot for my friends and I. Delivering coffee that could rival some of Melbourne's best and a menu of reliable favourites, made it the perfect place to spend the whole morning (particularly as there are usually interesting things going on at Abbottsford Convent at that time too).

Lentil As Anything will be one of the things I will miss most about not living in Melbourne. Its not just the great food but the philosophy; pleasant atmosphere that the volunteers create and the variety of people dining there.


2 comments:

  1. firstly, i'm about to go to sleep and shouldnt have seen this as i'm really hungry now. and not just writing that - my stomach is literally demanding good food right now in a very loud way. :D

    secondly, that place looks like one i would like a LOT. if i ever go to melbourne (which i will), i will have it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lentil As Anything sounds wonderful - vegetarian restaurants are always a bit of a god send when you get tired of always choosing the pasta on the menu at regular restaurants, but the idea of a pay as you feel system is truly admirable, too!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete